Art Journal Collage

Making Art Journals With Maïan

Art Journal1

C’est vendredi!

Just wanted to show you a little project that Maïan and I completed recently.  We made ….

ART JOURNALS!!!

Art Journal2

I spotted these amazing art journals / sketch books around the blogosphere a few months back and promised Maïan that we would make some.

Maïan makes amazing drawings and I thought it was high time that she did them in style. Plus I have been trying my hand at sketching patterns and that too deserved a special home.

So I tracked down the pattern and low and behold, it was FREE.  Indeed,  Vanessa from LBG Studio gives away this tutorial, with pictures and all, on her website.   She should seriously charge money for it…

Art Journal3

These are so sweet.

They have a pocket with a flap to hold all pencils and such.

There’s also two larger pockets, one to hold the backside of the note pad, and one to hide all sorts of treasures.

Art Journal4

I made this one below…

Art Journal5

And Maïan, who is turning 12 this summer, made this one!

Art Journal6

I know… it’s the second time I gush about Vanessa from LBG Studio this week.

Well, you probably haven’t finished hearing me gush about her… she’s been sort of a mentor lately in terms of my photography and has convinced me to take the plunge and use the manual settings on my camera.  I’ve also purchased her Photography for Bloggers E-Book which has been quite helpful in understand the behind the scenes aspect of photography.

(*** And I am just finding out that Designs By Sessa is giving away a copy of Vanessa’s Photography for Bloggers E-Book… Contest ends tonight at midnight, Saturday, March 14th so hurry up!***)

These pictures you see in this post are my first attempt at using all manual settings.  Not bad for a first try I think!

(Notice that I chose to attempt this using still objects in lieu of uncooperative children)…

I am very excited about the entire process… so much to learn but it’s insanely fun!

So thank you my new friend Vanessa for:

1. Your doll basket inspiration

2. Your free art journal pattern

3. Your amazing tips and insight into photography and photo editing

4. For being so sweet and patient in answering all my silly questions in the last few weeks

… did I mention that we barely know each other and yet, she’s been spending tons of time helping me out???  I only wish I had some knowledge with which to repay her…

In the meantime, I will just keep gushing about  the insanely talented Vanessa from LBG Studio!

Art Journal7

Bonne fin de semaine les amies!

Make It and Love It

14 comments for “Making Art Journals With Maïan

1. March 15, 2014 at 4:18 am

They’re fabulous, Meike would love one of these… They’re getting a spot on my endless “to make-list”! Have a lovely weekend!

• Natalie
      March 16, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Haha, I know what you mean, I also have that same list here! :-)

Natalie
      XX

2. March 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

seriously, thank you! you are too sweet and i really appreciate the kind words :) i am so impressed with your art journals – especially that your daughter made one too! so cool – she did an amazing job. and your photos look great – excited that you decided to take the plunge to manual mode!!

3. Shila
    March 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm

These are great! So cute live the chevron!

• Natalie
      March 17, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Thank you so much Shila!

Natalie
      XX

4. March 17, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Wow Maian is a sewer in the making :) I loved reading your post – I’ve just started shooting in manual too thanks to Vanessa’s e-book. I’ve got soooo much to learn. There is also a great mamarazzi series at Delia Creates which I’ve found really helpful too.

• Natalie
      March 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hi Renee! Oh, I hadn’t heard about the mamarazzi series… will have to check it out! You’re right… there is so much to learn!!!

Natalie
      XX

5. March 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

Love them! I can’t get enough notebooks and journals!

6. March 19, 2014 at 9:28 am

Pretty journals, I like how you’ve coordinated the different patterns with the fabric!

7. March 19, 2014 at 9:49 am

Natalie, these art journals are amazing. I love the different use of fabric design. I also think it was a great way to use up smaller pieces of fabric too. I am loving your photography. It is quite stunning. Well done! ~Thea

8. March 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

These are adorable! Love the patterns

9. March 30, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Natalie, these are absolutely stunning!! Thank you for sharing. :)

I am wondering if you could tell me where you get your fabric please and thank you?
    Kasia

• Natalie
      March 31, 2014 at 8:15 am

Hi Kasia! Thank you so much! The fabric is actually scraps from past projects and come from different places… is there one in particular that you like? I could tell you the name of it and where I purchased it.. most of my cottons either come from Etsy or from a local quilting shop…

Natalie